An eye-opening look at the need for visual privacy in the workplace—all over the world.
In 2015, Ponemon Institute conducted an experiment in the U.S. that revealed how easy it was to capture sensitive company information through visual hacking. To determine if visual hacking was an issue on a global scale, 3M sponsored an expanded experiment in 2016 to include offices in China, France, Germany, India, Japan, South Korea and the United Kingdom.
The worldwide results are alarming and serve as a good reminder of the importance of addressing visual privacy in organizations all over the world.
And learn how to help protect sensitive information from visual hackers.
An undercover white hat hacker was able to visually hack information in 91% of the global trials.1
In nearly half of the global trials an undercover visual hacker was able to obtain information in 15 minutes or less.1
Globally, 52% of sensitive information was successfully hacked from employee computer screens.1
The visual hacker was stopped in only 32% of global attempts. Meaning 68% of the time no one did anything to stop them.1
An undercover white hat hacker was able to visually hack information in 88% of the U.S trials.2
In nearly half of the U.S. trials an undercover visual hacker was able to capture information in 15 minutes or less.2
An undercover visual hacker in the U.S. saw an average of 5 pieces of sensitive information per trial, including corporate financials and confidential employee and customer information.2
The visual hacker was stopped in only 30% of attempts in the U.S. Meaning 70% of the time no one did anything to stop them.2
1 Average based on global trials conducted by Ponemon Institute during the “Visual Hacking Experiment,” 2015, and the “Global Visual Hacking Experiment,” 2016, both sponsored by 3M.
2 Average based on U.S. trials conducted by Ponemon Institute during the “Visual Hacking Experiment,” 2015, sponsored by 3M.
Take the risk out of these key risk areas by addressing points of vulnerability in the workplace.
Understanding the methods of visual hackers can help to protect your visual privacy. Organizational leadership should focus on common points of visual hacking to help reduce vulnerability. Login credentials, classified documents, corporate financials and more are all at stake.
Virtually any screen you see can also be seen by a visual hacker.
Think outside your walls. In today’s modern, mobile business environment, having a visual privacy plan is more vital than ever.
3 "Technology’s Impact on Workers”, Pew Research Center, December 2014.
What do mobile workers think of visual hacking when they’re working out of the office?
The Ponemon Institute surveyed profesional mobile workers about their perceptions of visual hacking when they’re working in public spaces. The 2017 study was based on interviews with a number of profesional workers while they were at work in coffee shops, hotel lobbies, and other public spaces.
The survey shows that despite the fact that professional workers think the threat of visual hacking is real, they don’t do much to address it.
87% of mobile workers surveyed say they’ve caught a visual hacker looking over their shoulder.4 Maybe the other 13% just didn’t turn around fast enough.
3 out of 4 mobile workers surveyed said they were somewhat or very concerned about visual hacking.4 What is your company doing about it?
Don’t think visual hacking is a problem for your company? More than half of mobile workers surveyed say they take no steps to protect important information while working in public spaces.4
When only half of mobile workers surveyed said they were familiar with privacy protection solutions4, you have to wonder why you're letting the other half work away from the office.
4 Ponemon Institute, “Public Spaces Interview Study,” 2017, sponsored by 3M. Study based on responses from 46 professional mobile workers.
Coffee shops, hotel lobbies and airports are all high risk areas.